Maynard Street Names

Origins and history of streets in Maynard. (Not complete by a long shot...)

Street Index: A B C D E E G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

A

B

Bancroft Street
This street on Maynard's hill was given its name by C.F. Monks, the real estate dealer who purchased the property and laid out Bancroft, Chandler, Dartmouth, Elmwood and Fairfield Streets.
Brooks Street
Named for Silas P. Brooks, who owned the land before it was cut into house lots.
Brown Street
Named by Warren A. Haynes, who purchased and cut up a section of the Ezekial Brown place. (See: Tremont Street, Haynes Street)

C

Chandler Street
This street on Maynard's hill was given its name by C.F. Monks, the real estate dealer who purchased the property and laid out Bancroft, Chandler, Dartmouth, Elmwood and Fairfield Streets.

D

Dartmouth Street
This street on Maynard's hill was given its name by C.F. Monks, the real estate dealer who purchased the property and laid out Bancroft, Chandler, Dartmouth, Elmwood and Fairfield Streets.
Dean Street
Named for persons who were the first to build on it.
Driscoll Street
Named in 1921 for old resident of town. Part of a development opened up on the old Augustus P. Newton property. (See: Espie, O'Moore, Sheridan and White streets).

E

Elm Street
So named because of a large Elm Tree in front of No. 9, the old Parker homestead.
Everett Street
Named by Hiram Curtis of Everett, owner of the land, and a former representative of the General Court.
Elmwood Street
This street on Maynard's hill was given its name by C.F. Monks, the real estate dealer who purchased the property and laid out Bancroft, Chandler, Dartmouth, Elmwood and Fairfield Streets.
Espie Street
Named in 1921 for old resident of town. Part of a development opened up on the old Augustus P. Newton property. (See: Driscoll, O'Moore, Sheridan and White streets).

F

Fairfield Street
This street on Maynard's hill was given its name by C.F. Monks, the real estate dealer who purchased the property and laid out Bancroft, Chandler, Dartmouth, Elmwood and Fairfield Streets.
Florida Road
Named by Luke S. Brooks, owner of the land, and perhaps in memory of his pleasant winters in Florida.
Forrest Street
Named for Forrest Holt, son-in-law of Gorham Brown.

G

H

Harriman Court
Named for the Harriman family, who owned considerable property on the court.
Haynes Street
Named by Warren A. Haynes for himself. (See: Tremont Street, Brown Street)

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

O'Moore Street
Named in 1921 for old resident of town. Part of a development opened up on the old Augustus P. Newton property. (See: Espie, Driscoll, Sheridan and White streets).

P

Parker Street
Named for William T. Parker, who owned the Paper Mill and other adjacent property
Percival Street
Named for John Percival from whom Amory Maynard purchased the land for building purposes.
Pine Street
So named on account of a growth of pines on the west side
Pomciticut Street
Named for the portion of Maynard which was formerly part of Stow (formerly called Pompositticut Plantation) which was a tract of land originally called "Pompasittakutt" ("a land of many hills"). Oddly enough, at the Stow end the street is called Pompositticut Street.

Q

R

S

Sheridan Street
Named in 1921 for old resident of town. Part of a development opened up on the old Augustus P. Newton property. (See: Espie, Driscoll, O'Moore, and White streets).
Sherman Street
Named for a man named Sherman who regularly brought moving picture shows to Maynard in the 1903-1909 period.

T

Thomas Street
Named for the lawyer who worked for Silas Brooks.
Thompson Street
Named for Aaron S. Thompson, who owned most of the land in the vicinity.
Tremont Street
Named by Warren A. Haynes, who purchased and cut up a section of the Ezekial Brown place. (See: Brown Street, Haynes Street)

U

V

W

Walcott Street
Named for persons who were the first to build on it.
Warren Street
Named for persons who were the first to build on it.
White Street
Named in 1921 for old resident of town. Part of a development opened up on the old Augustus P. Newton property. (See: Espie, Driscoll, O'Moore, and Sheridan streets).

X

Y

Z


To be filed:

In 1901, the Reardon farm and in 1902 the Mahoney farm were purchased by the American Woolen Company, it erected one hundred and twenty tenaments, with their own sewerage system. The streets were named after Presidents of the United States - Harrison, McKinley, Roosevelt, Cleveland, Hayes, Arthur, Grant and Garfield. This section of the town was at one time known as "Reardonville" and "Mahoneyville", but with the laying out of streets and building houses it became known as the "New Village". In 1918, the Gorham Brown farm was purchased by the American Woolen Company, tenaments built, and one of the new streets named for Frank J. DeMars, the first Maynard man to fall in battle in World War 1.

  Copyright , WAVM, Maynard Massachusetts.
This page was revised on: November 27, 2000