Old Houses in Maynard
It seems that everyone in Assabet Village (the original name of Maynard) was named Smith. The John Smith family owned much of what is now Maynard in 1655. His family built homesteads all around the present town.
Of the houses still standing, perhaps the most significant is the Asa Smith house, 84 Summer Hill Road, just up from Mill Street. This is where Amory Maynard first lived when he moved to Maynard from Marlboro, his birthplace. Amory was a direct descendant of John Smith.
A few other Smith houses still standing include the Levi Smith house on Great Road, the large yellow house between Thompson and Louise Streets; the William Smith House across from the Alumni Field Field House; the Dexter Smith House on Concord Street; The Haman Smith House on Great Road; the George Smith House next door on the corner of Summer Hill Road.
Other old Maynard Houses include the Brigham Farm on Great Road (this is known as Asparagus Farm and was owned by the Barber family for years); the Silas Brooks House in the corner of Summer Street and Summer Hill Road ( built in 1764 and owned by Herb Torppa) and the George Brown House on Acton Street (which was owned for many years by Sam Wade).
Most of the earliest houses in what is now Maynard were in the present Government Land on Lancaster Road and Puffer Road and are sadly long gone. It seems that were two routes through "Maynard", one being on the southern side from Sudbury Center, past Voses to the Stow Lower Village and including the first bridge across the Assabet (now known as Russell's Bridge). The other route did not involve a river crossing and was on the northern side of town using what is now Concord Street. Most of the earlier houses were along these two routes before the Mill and downtown Maynard were established.
|Copyright ©, WAVM, Maynard
This page was revised on: November 27, 2000