Maynard was born in the northeast part of Marlborough, at the foot of Fort Pond,
February 28, 1804, son of Isaac and Lydia (Howe) Maynard. He left school at the age of
fourteen to enter the sawmill owned by his father at Fort Meadow, and also helped on the
farm. The father died when Amory was sixteen and the boy took charge of the business,
carrying it on successfully. He also took on building and contracting, and within a short
time was employing about sixty men. When the City of Boston took over Fort Meadow Pond for
water supply, the sawmill lost its rights, and Amory turned to Assabet Village for further
On January 26, 1826 he married Mary P. Priest, daughter of Benjamin and
Phebe Priest of Marlborough. He was called to his reward on March 5, 1890, and his remains
together with those of his wife lie in the family tomb, which was erected in 1880 near
When he first came to the village he resided on Summer Hill Lane,
now Summer Hill Road. Later, he resided at what is now 145 Main Street, and his son
Lorenzo at 147 Main Street.
In 1873, Amory built a fine residence on the hill, at first called Beechmont Avenue,
now Dartmouth Street. Amory and his partner William H. Knight gave the land for the Union
Congregational Church. Amory and William were also the owners of the mill. Soon after,
Lorenzo built his residence near the same area that Amory built his residence. Lorenzo
also donated stained glass windows to the Union Congregational Church. These fine
residences and buildings with their spacious grounds made a beautiful picture. The estates
have long since been cut up into house lots and covered with dwellings. The residence of
Amory was destroyed by an early morning fire on July 29, 1965. The barn to this estate is
now an apartment house at 7-9 Elmwood Street. Lorenzo's residence is still standing near
the lower end of Dartmouth Street. This also has been made into an apartment house, as is
the barn nearby.
Lorenzo was associated with his father in the conduct of the Assabet
Mills, and became Superintendent in 1885 when his father retired because of illness.
He was active in town affairs and held several town offices. He moved to Winchester after
the failure of the mills and died there March 13, 1904. He had one son, William H.
William, the second son of Amory, was assistant superintendent of the mill until 1885,
when he became ill, and upon recovery travelled to California. Following his return he
settled in Worcester where he died November 6, 1906. He had two sons, Amory and Harlan,
and four daughters, Nettie (Mrs. E.C. Van Etten), Lessie (Mrs. Paul Morgan), Susan (Mrs.
Warren S. Peters) and Grace.
Mary Peters, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Warren S. Peters, and a granddaughter of Amory
Maynard, married Frank E. Sanderson who served as town clerk of Maynard for thirty- six
years. Mr. Sanderson retired in 1949. The Maynard influence in town affairs had been
carried on for more than one hundred years.
There are no members of the Maynard family now living in Maynard; however, there are
many things donated in memory of and by the Maynard's. One landmark given by Lorenzo
Maynard is a watering trough in front of the police station with
the initials "LM." Lorenzo also donated the town
clock in 1892 (he considered this his greatest achievement). Lorenzo built his house
on 147 Main Street. Amory Block was built by the mill and named for Amory Maynard. This is
located on 133-137 Main Street. Amory built his original house on 145 Main Street. Masonic
Block was built by the Maynard's and was once called Maynard Block. The Maynard's have
many landmark's throughout the town that were either donated to them or they built