The Maynard Family

Amory Maynard was born in the northeast part of Marlborough, at the foot of Fort Pond, February 28, 1804, son of Isaac and Lydia (Howe) Maynard. He left school at the age of fourteen to enter the sawmill owned by his father at Fort Meadow, and also helped on the farm. The father died when Amory was sixteen and the boy took charge of the business, carrying it on successfully. He also took on building and contracting, and within a short time was employing about sixty men. When the City of Boston took over Fort Meadow Pond for water supply, the sawmill lost its rights, and Amory turned to Assabet Village for further operation.

On January 26, 1826 he married Mary P. Priest, daughter of Benjamin and Phebe Priest of Marlborough. He was called to his reward on March 5, 1890, and his remains together with those of his wife lie in the family tomb, which was erected in 1880 near Elmwood Cemetery.

When he first came to the village he resided on Summer Hill Lane, now Summer Hill Road. Later, he resided at what is now 145 Main Street, and his son Lorenzo at 147 Main Street.

In 1873, Amory built a fine residence on the hill, at first called Beechmont Avenue, now Dartmouth Street. Amory and his partner William H. Knight gave the land for the Union Congregational Church. Amory and William were also the owners of the mill. Soon after, Lorenzo built his residence near the same area that Amory built his residence. Lorenzo also donated stained glass windows to the Union Congregational Church. These fine residences and buildings with their spacious grounds made a beautiful picture. The estates have long since been cut up into house lots and covered with dwellings. The residence of Amory was destroyed by an early morning fire on July 29, 1965. The barn to this estate is now an apartment house at 7-9 Elmwood Street. Lorenzo's residence is still standing near the lower end of Dartmouth Street. This also has been made into an apartment house, as is the barn nearby.

Lorenzo was associated with his father in the conduct of the Assabet Mills, and became Superintendent in 1885 when his father retired because of illness. He was active in town affairs and held several town offices. He moved to Winchester after the failure of the mills and died there March 13, 1904. He had one son, William H.

William, the second son of Amory, was assistant superintendent of the mill until 1885, when he became ill, and upon recovery travelled to California. Following his return he settled in Worcester where he died November 6, 1906. He had two sons, Amory and Harlan, and four daughters, Nettie (Mrs. E.C. Van Etten), Lessie (Mrs. Paul Morgan), Susan (Mrs. Warren S. Peters) and Grace.

Mary Peters, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Warren S. Peters, and a granddaughter of Amory Maynard, married Frank E. Sanderson who served as town clerk of Maynard for thirty- six years. Mr. Sanderson retired in 1949. The Maynard influence in town affairs had been carried on for more than one hundred years.

There are no members of the Maynard family now living in Maynard; however, there are many things donated in memory of and by the Maynard's. One landmark given by Lorenzo Maynard is a watering trough in front of the police station with the initials "LM."  Lorenzo also donated the town clock in 1892 (he considered this his greatest achievement). Lorenzo built his house on 147 Main Street. Amory Block was built by the mill and named for Amory Maynard. This is located on 133-137 Main Street. Amory built his original house on 145 Main Street. Masonic Block was built by the Maynard's and was once called Maynard Block. The Maynard's have many landmark's throughout the town that were either donated to them or they built themselves.


The house on Summerhill Road where Amory Maynard first lived is the Asa Smith house, one of the oldest in Maynard.

Bill Hughes used to conduct wonderful tours of the Mill until his recent retirement. One of his favorite Mill stories was about the day an elderly man walked into 5-4 and asked to take a look around. After a couple of questions from June at the desk, Ken Olsen (then President of Digital) was called and the man was given a personal tour. Turns out that the man was either the younger Amory or Harlan Maynard (Bill was not sure which). In any event, after the lengthy tour, Mr. Maynard told Ken that his grandfather would have been very thankful for what had been done for his Mill.

Copyright , WAVM, Maynard Massachusetts.
This page was revised on: November 27, 2000